Legal Aid of Nebraska helps ensure the fairness and integrity of the tax system by educating low income taxpayers about their rights and responsibilities, by providing free representation to taxpayers in tax disputes with the IRS, by conducting outreach and education to taxpayers who speak English as a second language, and by identifying and advocating for issues that impact low-income taxpayers.
Cases we normally handle:
- Matters involving audits, appeals, collection matters, and federal tax litigation.
- Responding to IRS notices
- Correcting account problems.
We may also be able to help with:
- Education for low-income taxpayers and taxpayers who speak English as a second language (ESL) about their taxpayer rights and responsibilities.
- Homeowners in Douglas County can receive assistance with their homestead exemption application February 1st through June 30th at at Legal Aid of Nebraska’s-Omaha Access to Justice Walk-In Center. If you are over 65, disabled under state law, or a veteran, you may qualify to have the state pay your property taxes in part or in full. Stop anyone from buying a tax lien on your house by claiming this state benefit!